If you enjoy your own speech sound and have a way of charming listeners with your words, a career as a radio jockey may be tailor-made for you.
This article will help you in how you can become Radio jockey (RJ). Read the full article to understand the career of radio jockey, its job prospects, salary, what does he do, etc.
What is Radio Jockey (RJ)?
There has also been a change in the manner individuals look at radio. Earlier, Indian radio personalities were simply referred to as radio ‘ announcers, ‘ but being a good ‘ radio jockey ‘ (RJ) over the last ten years is regarded no less than attaining celebrity status. And so, dozens of employment in radio jockey have emerged.
What does a Radio Jockey (RJ) do?
An RJ’s function is informing, updating, and entertaining. Also known as Radio DJs, their job includes presenting multiple music programs and entertaining the audience through other components such as guest interviews-musicians, artists and well-known personalities, either associated to the music / film industry or even otherwise-commenting on a music piece and managing listeners ‘ demands.
Radio Jockey Keys Skills
- Being spontaneous, spunky, and having a pleasant, friendly personality is very important to you.
- A nice voice and a powerful command of language.
- research is the key, like in every other field.
- You need to listen to excellent radio jockeys to know their style and then create your own with exercise.
- You need to comprehend and offer them just that, what the masses need.
RJ’s Eligibility Criteria
Obviously, your voice is what counts most in this career route. You should be evident about your diction and pronunciation. You need to be able to modulate your voice’s pitch and tenor. You will need to modulate your voice differently for distinct radio programs, so you need to maintain that in mind.
RJ’s Job Prospects
If you have the abilities and knowledge you need, you will have a number of work possibilities where you can demonstrate your abilities. A number of private players such as Radio Mirchi, Red FM and others are always looking for new talent.
The government company AIR (All India Radio) is another radio station you could work for.
You also have the chance to venture into the visual sphere if you’re great at your job, with many successful RJs making the jump into television.
A Radio Jockey’s pros and cons
- Music and performing arts fusion
- Connect with different individuals
- Flexible working hours
- Odd working hours as at 4 am in the morning or at midnight you might have to host shows.
- Sometimes you may feel lonely as you have to work as your partner from a tiny soundproof space with studio equipment.
Radio Jockey Salary
You can expect to gain about Rs 10,000 as a field fresher. But as the popularity of an RJ soars, so does his wages. Recognition with the crowd and a communication knack will assist one in this sector to increase rather rapidly.
Some of India’s leading organizations for mass communication, journalism and radio are:
- Radio School of Broadcasting, Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Multiple Locations
- Apeejay Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi
- Symbiosis Centre for Media and Communication, Pune
- Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media, Bangalore
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, New Delhi
- Craft Film School, New Delhi
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Lady Sri Ram College, Delhi University
- P College for Women, Delhi University
- Madras Christian College, Chennai
- Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi
Note- Radio jockeying is not a particular career of a degree. For example, RJ Rahul Makin is a literature graduate who, due to his fast-witted abilities and soothing voice, has continued to pursue a radio career.
Radio Jockey’s scope in India
The possibilities are not restricted to radio jockeying alone in the radio industry. You can also hold alternative careers in the radio sector as well as hosting your own radio shows, such as producer, music manager, copy/scriptwriter, creative engineer, marketing manager, etc.
- how to become rj or voice over